Thursday, 2 January 2014

Seasonally adrift

I've never known the Club to cancel racing due to wind, either too much or too little, but on New Year's Day they actually did. Most sensible souls, on seeing the forecast, elected to sleep in, but a few fool Laser sailors turned out to race us.

It was pretty grim when we arrived, but Ben and I dragged the boat out and prepared to rig. The weather built. The OOD's team were looking pretty concerned, but happy to push on if we were mad enough to still want to sail.

And still the weather built. It wasn't so much the two remaining Laser sailors "reefing" down to their kids' Toppers that gave us pause, but more how they had to rig with the boats on their sides because of the wind strength that finally convinced Ben and I to call it and put the boat away. Just getting her back to her berth without having her blown off the trolley was challenge enough.

Of the two remaining Laser (Topper) sailors still intending to race, Mike (of second place, Winter series fame, previously written of) is a man about my age and apparent idiocy. However, Jon is post retirement, so nearing his 70's and should probably know better. But on a wintery, chill and drenched New Year's Day with blustery gales broaching F6 or more there he was rigging a small boat fully intending to head out and race.

Proof, if any proof were needed, that sailing keeps you young.

With Buffy safely covered and tied down, I volunteered to man a second safety boat. As much an excuse to get out on the water if anything, it struck some bemused observers in the club house that by having a dedicated safety boat each, a certain couple of sailors were definitely getting their money's worth out of their club fees!

By 1130hrs, with gusts hitting 49 kts, the OOD called it, and racing was cancelled.

And now we're into the Doldrums of the year. With the official racing season now over, nothing is scheduled for Sunday, and I find myself emotionally adrift, uncertain of quite where I am or what to do with myself.

Though there is plenty of maintenance and boat shifting to do. I need to bring the Europe home from Frampton, I need to find somewhere to dry out and repair Penny and I need to somehow get the Fireball back from Lydney and berthed at Frampton, so that I can clean her up and assess what needs doing to get her in to a state where she's safe to sail.

Trouble is, I'm still without a car following the demise of my poor Ford Mondeo just before Christmas.

I really am not a fan of this time of year.

In other, non-sailing news, the new foster dog, Ty, is settling in well. Still a little nervous around the rest of the pack, and we have to keep a close eye on Jack (twelve month old GSD male - the archetypical bolshie teenager) but he's a beautiful dog. Terribly underweight and his coat's in an awful state, but desperately eager to please, and not a confrontational or aggressive bone in his body.

He's spent the last couple of days pretty much attached to my hip, shadowing my every move.

I imagine he's going to be easy to home, but heart-breaking as I'm totally besotted with him. But after what's clearly been a shaky start, he's going to have a fine, full and happy life ahead of him now, so that will be some comfort when he goes. But I don't think it'll be for a while yet, so I've got a bit of space to enjoy his company in the meantime.

No comments: