Sunday 3 August 2014

Undisturbed

Decided not to disturb the overgrown nature reserve that my front garden has become with its long overdue appointment with the mower and shears, and instead went sailing. The neighbors may hate me, but the forecast was irresistible.

Ben took helm, I crewed.

Brilliant first race. Heavy, steady southwesterly. Good start, loads of hard hiking, screaming, planing reaches. A well earned third place, and more to the point, beat the other Enterprise "Ghost".

Second race was going the same way, Ghost snuck just in front of us, then, hiked out hard and tanking along, we got hit by a massive, sudden header.

The jib backed instantaneously, the boom flew over, and Buffy crashed over on top of us. The two minutes recovering from the capsize probably cost us four places or so, and pushed us back to seventh.

But it was fun. Had great day's sailing. Think there are few things I enjoy more than crewing for a helm I can trust.

Love sailing with Ben.

No comments: