Thursday 3 August 2023

Laser: thunderclouds


Had a good evening's racing last night with the Laser at South Cerney. Black skies and patchy sun over dark waters. The rain set in for around twenty minutes at the start; thick, heavy drops of icy water. But it eased off as the evening progressed and when the sun occasionally broke back through, it was actually quite pleasant. 


A little bit of thunder and distant lightning about half way through, but didn't amount to anything more than a couple of threatening peals. The wind was supposed to be gusting up to 20 knots, but, on that count at least, failed to deliver. Instead, we got a shifty, temperamental north-westerly of around 10 knots. Perfect for a certain featherweight youngster with his Radial, who stole an early lead off the start-line and turned it in to a convincing win, beating me into an ungracious second place.

I'd rigged my old Rooster sail; I've bought a new Holt class replica sail for the Laser, but if I'm honest, I'm not getting on with it. The boat feels sluggish, the leach of the sail seems overly hooked and the luff seems too long. I'm tempted to eBay it and get a new Rooster replica instead to replace the old one. Then again, I should probably be a little less spendthrift at the moment. We're seriously considering selling Calstar and getting something a little bigger.


It's been a consideration for a while, but not something I was planning to do within the next couple of years, except a potential opportunity has presented itself. Calstar is a lovely little boat, but a little bit tight for space or privacy when there's more than a couple of us aboard, which discourages Nikki somewhat, I think.

No comments: