Friday 25 August 2023

Brixham bound

I don't think I've ever had so much trouble trying to spend so much money. 


Our new boat to be is secure upon her current trot mooring in the River Dart until the end of March next year. At which point the mooring, which is non transferrable, reverts to the harbour authority. There is a waiting list for moorings on the Dart that requires a deposit of £150 just to get your name added.


Which is fair enough, and I wouldn't begrudge. But the more I think of it, the more I think we need the new boat in a marina. It's a three hour drive to the boat, so I want to be able to park securely, leave the car, walk on the boat and walk back off whenever I want.


Arriving in Kingswear, finding somewhere to park, inflating a tender, paddling out across the river to the mooring, quite likely in the dark, is an adventure I'm not particularly concerned about for my own part, but it doesn't seem reasonable to impose the same burden on Dad or my wife. Or my dog, for that matter.


Made enquiries with the marinas in the Dart. The one was exceptionally friendly and helpful, but the one space they had was too narrow for the beam of the new boat. They couldn't make any promises, but suggested I call back in late January once they'd dealt with next year's renewals. The other told me they had a 5 to 7 year waiting list and they couldn't even give me any certainty of a winter berth from October till February. There's a waiting list for that too, but to get on it I needed to email them next week once they were done with the Dartmouth Regatta.


Similar story with Sutton Harbour in Plymouth. No near decade long waiting list, lovely lady to took the call, really keen to help but I'd really have to take my chances and call back late January. Everywhere, at this time of year at least, is fully subscribed. It doesn't help that the boat is 11m length overall and 3.8m beam.

I really don't like uncertainty. It bothers me leaving things hanging and undecided.


Then I had a call from a guy called Mike at Brixham Marina this morning. They've just had a boat previously berthed with them and confirmed as sold and moving on. The space it leaves is a perfect fit for us. They can take us any time from the beginning of September. 


So the deposit is paid. I'll pay the balance once we've taken possession of the boat, which is planned for Sunday 3rd September. We shall leave her on her trot mooring for a couple of weeks (annoyingly, I'm fully booked the weekend following) and then, weather permitting, move her around Berry Head and into Brixham Marina on Saturday 16th. At which point, Brixham will become our new home port.

(the photos above were from our last trip with Calstar to Brixham and Dartmouth back in August 2020)



No comments: