Thursday 31 March 2022

Freefall: Daylight


I mentioned earlier that my brother Jamie has been trawling through the band's video archives. He pulled this one out at the beginning of the week and posted it to the band's Facebook Page, so I thought I'd share, assuming I can get the FB video to embed and play on this page.

Monday 24th August 2003; it was a bank holiday gig at what was, back then, one of our favourite Bristol venues called The Horseshoe. When Jay posted it up, I could place the date because I'd given Dad my camera that evening and so have a collection of photos from the same evening.


The song, "Daylight", was one of the later songs I wrote with the band. We'd recorded and self published three albums by then, and this song was intended for the fourth, which never got finished before the line-up, as was, finally fell apart and the band switched to its present day mercenary mode, and moved on to playing covers instead.

So I'm guessing the song is about 21 years old. Which feels a little bit crazy, as in when did all that time fly by? But still makes Daylight a couple of years younger than my youngest child.

On which point, I think my favourite part of the video is when the camera swings out to the crowd and focuses on my daughter and eldest, stood next to her mate singing along to the song. Some couple of decades later and she makes it to far fewer gigs these days. But when she does, I still catch her doing that, and it still never fails to make me smile.

No comments: