Monday 2 August 2021

Laser: rig choice


I'm away at the British Moth Nationals in Chelmarsh this week, so won't get to sail my Laser at South Cerney this coming Wednesday. Which is a shame, as I'm very much enjoying it, but I can't really complain. I'm sure there is such a thing as "too much sailing", but I've yet to find it.


I imagine I'll have more to say of the Nationals in a bit; suffice to say I've been very lucky that a good friend has offered to lend me a very nice boat to race in return for the promise that I bring my guitar. Before we get to this week though, I have a bit of catching up to do from last week first.

So to begin with last Wednesday. Winds from the west south west, gusting up to 27 knots. Not to revel in too much self-pity, but I already had a bad back and some nasty joint pain in my left elbow; I pulled a muscle in my left shoulder at karate a few weeks ago (ironically, the week before we were allowed to spar again, so entirely self-inflicted) and in sympathy my elbow has for some reason flared up as well. Fortunately, I'm right handed, so it hasn't interfered with my drinking. Anyway, given my state of decrepitude and the blustery conditions, I decided to use the smaller Radial rig for the Laser.


On the shore the rig choice was split across the half a dozen strong Laser fleet, about half rigging Radials, and the other half bravely sticking to the Standard rig.


In total honesty, even fit and hale, the Standard becomes too much for me to race once the wind hits 20 knots. Just blasting up and down the lake for fun is entirely different, but I lack the control necessary for close quarters racing, and spend a lot of time swimming, which isn't fast.

Naturally, given the conditions, I strapped the GoPro to the bow. The subsequent footage, which, narcissist that I am, I've found compelling viewing in the week since, suggests that actually I'm not entirely in control of even the Radial once the winds hit the 20's either.


It was good fun though. Which I imagine you'd expect me to say, and you'd not be wrong. It was very wet, very challenging, and despite sailing, at times, like a complete lemon, I still managed a credible finish, and only the one capsize, from which I recovered surprisingly quickly. 

No comments: