Friday 25 November 2016

The distractable

Something I read written by Gabby Hinsliff in the Guardian this morning in an article:

"....it’s such a fundamental misunderstanding of the hole work fills in people’s lives.... Paying people to stay at home may keep them out of poverty but the message it sends is the polar opposite of being needed; sorry, but we can’t think of anything for you to do, so go away and find your own entertainment." - Why shouldn’t the over-50s start a new career?

Sorry, but I can't for a second imagine that if it no longer became necessary for me to work for a living I couldn't find something else to do with my time to justify my existence and keep myself suitably distracted and engaged for the rest of my life.

I've never been short on the capacity to keep myself entertained.

I suspect I'd write songs. Or go sailing.

Or both.

Yes, I think both.

No comments: