Monday 22 February 2016

Happy snaps

I've long been a fan of Google's Picasa. Not so much for the album management, but the tweaking and editing functions offered.

After dropping my phone on the floor of a Cornish pub one weekend away with Dad, and thus loosing all the photos I'd taken of a misty afternoon's sail from Fowey to Polkeris and back, I'd also become a fan of Google Photos, and in particular, the backup feature.

Then I discovered the editor they included with it, and quite fell in love with that.

However, Google is a law unto itself, in so many ways, and some months back they dumbed down the online editor considerably, to my sad disappointment. Not to worry, I still had Picasa.

Except, I've just discovered they've discontinued Picasa also.

I can't really complain. All this stuff was for free anyway. Which I know makes me the product, but I had no issue with that. Everybody's using somebody somehow. The trick is to get back more than you put in.

On the bright side, Picasa at least is off-line, so will continue to be functional for as long as it runs in whatever operating system I have installed. Which is currently Windows 10, on the new laptop at least, so I'm future-proofed for a bit.

But it's like losing an old friend.

Well, no. Scratch that. It's just software. And in this interconnected age there are always other options, whereas every friend, old or young, longstanding or new-found, is a unique treasure, irreplaceable in the mark they make.

But it is a disappointment. I've grown to like the pictures I take. I wonder that I might like them less if I can't find a replacement of the same potential.

No comments: