Monday 11 January 2016

And the stars look very different today

Heard some really sad news on the radio whilst driving into work this morning.

I've enjoyed a rich life so far, musically, with many varied and diverse influences, but of them most, transitory and very few long enduring; my tastes are itinerant, and I've probably always been too self-involved for indulgence in classic fandom.

There are a few, very few, honourable exceptions however.

David Bowie is one such, and has been since my very early teens. And I'm sure it's nothing to do with the fact that I once won a kiss from a pretty girl just because she was a huge Bowie fan and, like him, I've got mis-matched eyes. Honest, it was all about the music. 

Except Bowie has never been just about the music.

It's a sad loss, 69 is far too young. Cancer is a bitch.


"......as if this pop genius would have somehow twigged a way of escaping death. As if we would somehow still be hearing Bowie albums, beamed in via holographic afterlife, in 3016.
If that was one trick even he couldn't pull off, then we can be sure of something: as Bowie’s influence stretches far and wide, seeping into the work of those whose lives he touched, we will get to see him reborn countless times over the coming decades."

No comments: