Wednesday 13 February 2013

The Doldrums

I do dislike this time of year.

Without the fixture of the routine Sunday racing every weekend, my weeks
feel cast adrift and start to blur into each other. Even the annual
work-parties that usually put such demands on our time out of season
seem, for some reason, disjointed and quite irregular this year.

Of course, I could just go sailing anyway, and we did just that a couple
of weeks ago, relaunching Penny and then racing my son around the lake
for a very pleasant afternoon [and do note from the photos above that
he's BEHIND us :) ]

But the more typical story is wake up Sunday morning, a little groggy
from the Saturday night before, look out the window, think "Meh, not
enough wind to bother with" and then get distracted by something else
for the day. Next thing you know the wind picks up into an unexpected
blow and you've missed a fantastic day's sailing and the weekend ends
and Sunday passes with all the impact and consequence of a damp squib.
That was this Sunday just gone. I think. It's actually kind of hard to
picture it now.

And I must look up what a damp squib actually is.

I've never regretted going to the effort of actually heading down to the
water, rigging the boat and setting sail. I've frequently regretted not
bothering because it didn't seem worth it at the time. You'd think I'd
learn.

Never mind, February is almost over, and the racing season relaunches
itself on Sunday 3rd March. Not long to go now.

No comments: