Friday 10 February 2017

Weather: The prevailing

Really just for personal interest: the following are a couple of graphics I've lifted from one of my favourite weather forecast sites, windfinder.com, showing statistics gathered for the prevailing conditions over the course of the year for my two main sailing areas, Frampton-on-Severn and Portishead.

Frampton-on-Severn
Portishead / Redcliff Bay
Interestingly, given the marked difference, the two sites are only separated by a shade over 20nm (as the seagull flies) but Portishead is coastal whereas Frampton is obviously inland.

The prevailing direction comes as no great surprise, except perhaps I expected a southwesterly mien to be more dominant, especially in Portishead. And I think I perhaps expected a higher average wind speed in Frampton, but in actually fact what the graph shows probably tallies better with my actual experience.

Also worth noting, for the sake of detail, that the Frampton stats are taken from a weather station in Hardwicke, an outlying village / suburb of Gloucester, which is about another ten statute miles further inland than Frampton itself.

No comments: