Thursday 8 September 2022

SCSC: the last hotdog


Wednesday evenings are now over for the year. Well, not the evenings as such, but the racing at the lake that characterises them for me through the summer. From the beginning of April through to the beginning of September, our club runs an unofficial Wednesday evening series called the "Hotdogs", so named because that's what we all eat after the racing's done. 


It's kind of odd that it's not part of the Club's official programme, as it's probably the best attended; we had 26 boats on the start line last night, which is a good turnout by anybody's standard and pretty typical for what the Hotdog attracts. It is a long series, stretching as it does across the late spring, summer and into early autumn. This year that made for 23 separate races, albeit you only needed 8 to qualify.


Unfortunately, I couldn't sail last night as it was my turn to man the safety boat. I'd originally volunteered for the duty last week, but was incapacitated by my foot, so a friend covered for me, and I returned the favour this week. 


It was an easy duty though, sitting in the RIB with my mate Alex for company, watching the the fleet drift around the cans. The evening started out blustery, but the wind, typical for a Wednesday evening, swiftly faded once the racing started. It could even have been a comfortable watch, save for the rain that set in about ten minutes before the end, just as the sun set.


It would have been nice to have sailed the last one, but I'm pleased with how the series went anyway. I won the Laser class trophy again, and this year took 3rd place overall in the Hotdogs general handicap.


Not so sure what I'm going to do with my Wednesday evenings now for the rest of the year, but am meeting Amanda at the Club again on Sunday to finally put the Albacore's mast back up and relaunch her. At the very least, we should manage to get that sorted in time for the afternoon's pursuit race.


No comments: