Monday 12 September 2022

Albacore: relaunched


Those with a good memory might recall my mentioning that we broke our mast-step back in April. It took until the beginning of July to get it repaired and the Albacore safely back to the Club, but then she has since sat forlorn in her berth, mast down for a couple of months as a busy summer of "stuff" continued to get in the way of a relaunch.


We fixed that on Sunday. The mast went back up with a little bit of bodging but no major mishap in the morning; there was some damage to the mast gate that had gone unnoticed but we temporarily remedied with a nylon ruler, a hacksaw, a bit of epoxy and some gaffa-tape. 


The wind filled in by lunchtime and Amanda and I had a lovely hour and a half of aimlessly bashing around the lake just for the fun of it as the Club had, very annoyingly, cancelled racing this weekend "out of respect".


So some non-racing metrics, just for the fun of it: partially cloudy, 21°C, wind southerly, 8.4 knots. 6.9nm sail over 1 hour and 28 minutes underway, average SOG 4.7 knots, max 8.8 knots. Average heart rate 73bpm, max 90bpm.


Annoyed as I was that racing had been cancelled (I fail to see how doing so was in any way "respectful" but I have been told by my wife Nikki to "stop going on about it" so I shall) I have to admit, it was actually quite nice just being out on the water without any pressure or agenda for a change. And great having the Albacore afloat again.

No comments: