Wednesday 5 October 2022

no mermaid


I'm not entirely sure what moved me to buy my GoPro. It was something of an impulsive purchase. Dad already had one, but rarely got it out as he found it too fiddly. 

His was an earlier version though, and the version that was current when I bought mine (the Hero 9 Black) seemed to have resolved some of those earlier issues. Although it's far from perfect. And the supporting software is exceptionally janky, poorly documented, clumsy to use and isn't supported on PC, which is where I do most of my work.

Having a new tablet with a decent screen has partially resolved that problem for me, but it's still very frustrating.


But, perched on the bow of my Laser or strapped to the mast of the Albacore, it has caught some great sailing footage. And clipped somewhere out of reach of the crowd at a gig, it's gotten some half decent video of the band, which is always helpful.


It really came into its own on my last two trips to Europe however. And the thing I hadn't fully appreciated when I bought it is that the stills you can take from the video you shoot can be superb. They might lack the resolution you can get from a camera (phone or otherwise) but as most of our viewing is done on screen these days, I don't know that it makes much difference. A "proper" photographer might beg to differ, perhaps.


The accompanying shots are far from superb but they were fun; I simply left the camera afloat, bobbing upside down whilst I swam around it, they amuse me so I thought I'd share. I'm certainly no mermaid, but I think I enjoyed the swimming in Croatia and Greece almost as much as I loved the sailing. 

I'm possibly going to miss the former more over this coming winter.

No comments: