Friday 11 October 2019

South Cerney Sailing Club

This time of year always puts me in mind of Groucho Marx, and his reflections on club membership. Specifically, that he wouldn't want to join any club that would have him as a member.

It's renewals season.


Aside from obviously renewing my membership at Frampton, I've just submitted my application to South Cerney Sailing Club. Racing at Frampton last Sunday pretty much convinced me.

That, and an invitation to crew again in an Albacore at South Cerney in a couple of weeks time. It'll be my third visit, and there's only so many times you can sign on as a guest before you start to take the mick.


Of last Sunday, we capsized and I had to swim, so the lack of any subsequent rash suggests that either the wetsuit is working, or the lengthening season has subdued the flesh eating tadpoles that were plaguing me earlier in the year. If it's the former, fine. If it's the latter, then that means next spring and summer is going to be a problem.

I've got no way of knowing which, though I suspect the latter.


Any in any case, my adrenaline levels shot through the roof the second I touched the water. After this year, I think capsizing at Frampton is never going to feel the same again.

And, despite my unblemished skin (at least, no more blemished than it was before my swim) and despite the blustery conditions last Sunday that should've made the sailing an absolute blast and a joy, the weed was an utter, utter nightmare.


As I can't quite bring myself to part with Frampton, I'm just going to have to juggle membership of two clubs for the coming year. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: