Saturday 21 April 2018

Buffy: the time has come

Buffy is leaking.


I spent some time with her this afternoon, and I'm pretty certain it's the centreboard case that's gone again. She still sails of course, and you can still win races with her, but a lot of water leaks in very quickly, so you have to put up with very wet feet.


Of course, with enough wind, the bailers clear the water out. But it's not good for her to get so wet, so she really needs to be dried out and repaired before she's sailed any more.


It's far beyond the time or talent I have available to hand, so, almost reluctantly although I have been considering it for a while, I'm going to sell her.

Of course, she's not going to be worth much, as she clearly needs somebody that wants a bit of a restoration project. I could almost certainly get more by breaking her up and selling the components: carbon fibre tiller extension and flyaway pole, dynema main halyard, restored centreboard, road trailer, all that sort of thing.


But I won't. She owes me absolutely nothing. She's been pure pleasure to race these last six or so years, I've loved every minute of it. Hopefully I can find somebody that has the afore mentioned time and talent and will to rebuild the bits I've neglected and broken and get another decade or two of joy out of her.

We'll give it a week in case any of the new members just finishing their sailing course at the Club take a shine to her, warts and all. Then it's eBay here we come.


No comments: