Thursday 2 November 2023

under pressure


I was vaguely disturbed twice yesterday evening by an unexpected buzz on my wrist and a message that flashed up on my watch saying "Storm alert". In the five years I've owned this watch I don't think it's ever done that before. 


I checked the settings on the barometer and, apparently, it's set to trigger the alert if the pressure drops 4mb or more in a 3 hour period.


I tried to check the various Brixham webcams first thing this morning, but until a few minutes ago, they were down, presumably as a result of what was essentially the equivalent of a DDoS attack from a collective of concerned boat owners all trying to check on conditions in the harbour.


I did a few minutes ago finally (and briefly) get access to the camera overlooking the marina, and all looks well; as expected, the wind is coming in over the headland, so the sea is blowing out of Torbay rather than into it. So situation pretty much normal, except all the trawlers are, understandably, packed like sardines into their own harbour.


On the home front, the worst of it seems to have blown through overnight, though the day remains grotty outside; about 10°C, persistent rain, grey skies, and a blustery autumnal breeze. Could've been a lovely day for playing with the Laser (albeit with the Radial rigged) on the lake if I didn't have other commitments.

No comments: