Wednesday 25 January 2023

SCSC: frost and still waters


We've been enjoying a bit of a cold snap recently. I woke up Sunday morning to Alexa blithely telling me it was -2°C outside but that we did have clear skies. A bleary glance out the window also told me that there was no wind to speak of. 


It mystifies me that the typical layman's weather forecast summary doesn't tell you what the wind is doing unless it's expected to be extreme. My particular interest aside, the wind makes such a difference to how the weather actually feels.


Having already scraped the ice off my car in the early hours before driving home after Saturday night's gig, I happily didn't have to do it again before heading off to the lake in the morning. It was my turn manning the safety boat this week, so no sailing for me.


On getting to the club, I was vaguely surprised to find that the lake hadn't actually frozen over. A bit of ice at the margins, but that was otherwise it. Elsewhere, neighbouring clubs with shallower water than our gravel pit had to cancel their sailing because of the ice.


It wasn't a big turnout on the start line, just the hardcode few. With such a small number of boats and such light air, there wasn't much to do for the safety boat except keep a watchful eye on things. But it did leave the chance to take a few photos. Winter skies, frost and still waters make for such pretty pictures, I think. 


With my turn on the safety boat done for now, next Sunday Amanda and I are back to racing the Albacore. Forecast suggests it might have warmed up a few degrees by then, and whilst there's no wind Saturday or Sunday morning, it's supposed to have picked up nicely by lunchtime. Of course, this far out the forecast only ever paints a picture in the broadest of strokes.


No comments: