Wednesday 18 January 2023

Hi Ren

This is a song by a guy called Ren.

My brother shared it with me yesterday evening. I've not come across this artist before, and have to admit, he totally floored me. I'm a sucker for naked vocals and guitar, and especially love the sound of nylon strings on a "classical" guitar, particularly when not played in a classical style. I'm not generally a fan of rap. That's actually quite an understatement; whilst I can sometimes appreciate the artistry in in, it leaves me cold, I don't actually like it at all. But in this case, I make an exception.

I think the story he weaves is beautiful compelling. And whilst I know he's talking about battles with his own subconscious, which is not something that connects with me as I'm pretty much at peace with mine, ironically, he could, in many ways, also be talking about my relationship with my brother. 

I was only very recently thinking I'd gotten a bit stale with the music I've been listening to. Happily, I think I've found a new rabbit hole to crawl down.

No comments: