Tuesday 4 September 2018

Freefall: awaiting sound-check


Of all the various snaps I took over the weekend, I think this one was my favourite.

In a past life, the groom, Ben (centre right) was the landlord of the Golden Lion, a pub in Fishponds, Bristol, and along with a man called Alistair, then the landlord of the neighbouring and now long defunct Farrier's Arms, was instrumental in nagging me to put the band back together after we essentially derailed ourselves at the end of 2003.

He's been out of the pub trade for some time now, but over the years Ben became a good friend of both myself and my family. He and his lovely new wife Laura invited us to a party to celebrate their recent wedding, provided, of course, that we brought the band as well.

I took the photo as I we were rigging the band's PA, about twenty minutes before sound-check and sometime still before the guests were due to arrive. Over on the left is Al, another good friend who'd kindly offered to sub for our regular drummer. Either side of the groom are, of course, my wife and my dad. Next to my dad is Ben's new father-in-law.

I don't exactly know why, but the photo just puts a smile on my face.

No comments: