Monday 2 October 2023

Petrella: boat dog


The fairy lights were a legacy of Petrella's previous owners. However, whilst I've never even considered the merits or otherwise of having a string of fairy lights in the main cabin of a boat, I've left them in place. In part, because my wife likes them. But, like all things on a boat they serve a dual purpose. They only come on when we're plugged into the shore power, so they're a very good visual indicator that the shore power is working and that one of us has remembered to plug it in.


Lottie, Dad and I spent Saturday night aboard, got some odd jobs done on Sunday, followed by lunch in town and an easy drive back. Lottie is not keen on the indignities involved with embarking and disembarking from the boat, as the manoeuvre basically involves me grabbing her by the handle of her life jacket and hauling her up into the air and over the guardrail. And whilst she can, albeit without much elegance, manage getting herself down through the companionway to the main cabin, she can't get herself back up and out without help as the steps are too steep.


But once aboard, and particularly, once below, she was exceptionally relaxed and comfortable, not even phased in the slightest when Dad and I left her alone below whilst we worked above deck. I reckon she's got every potential of making a fine boat dog.


As I think I mentioned previously, Dad's really struggling with his mobility. I think he's finding the inevitable limitations this invariably imposes more of a struggle to deal with than the actual pain, which he's more or less coping with using the medication he's been prescribed. I had thought they'd taken bloods already to test for anything more alarming than a pulled muscle or trapped nerve in his back, but it turns out they've merely given him an appointment for taking the bloods.

In November. The system is a joke.

 

No comments: