Wednesday 21 December 2022

a two stage weekend


First stage was Saturday night, two minutes down the road from home at The Pilot. A brilliant night as usual, not sure if there was less room on the dancefloor or on the stage as Nikki's brother Jim joined us for the night on keyboard and my young nephew Josh joined us for a few songs on guitar, effectively lowering the average age of the band by a few decades or so.


Second stage was forty-five minutes down the road at Cleve Rugby Club in Bristol, where joined them for their Christmas Party on Sunday afternoon. It also marked the second World Cup game I got to watch, as it coincided with the final between Argentina and France. I'd previously watched the England USA game as it had coincided with a previous gig. I'm no expert on these things, but I think the Argentina France game was the better.


The weather Sunday was filthy. The temperature had risen, but had brought with it heavy wind and thick, sleeting rain. It put a lot of water on the roads, and driving home after the gig Sunday evening, our guitarist Matt lost control of his car and totalled it against the central reservation of the motorway. Despite the heavy traffic, he didn't hit anybody else and nobody else hit him, so whilst his car is an absolute mess he was miraculously unhurt.

If I get nothing else for Christmas, I'll take that and be thankful.

No comments: