Wednesday 9 February 2022

Calstar: sitting pretty


She looks so pretty afloat and back on her berth. 

Not so sure about our immediate neighbour. Assume Border Force's presence in the Bristol Channel is necessary to intercept mid-channel and turn back the floods of Welsh refugees we're expecting now that Wales no longer enjoys EU development funding after they voted for us to get our sovereignty back and secure £350 million a week for the NHS off the side of a bus.

Damn, that's more political than I've been since about the end of 2019, and far more than I ever mean to get in my writing here. I apologise. 

But talking of borders, now that we're afloat, we fully intend to cross the other way, weather permitting. Which I don't think it will be this weekend; rain and 30 knot gusts forecast, so I think I'll stick to the lake and the Albacore for Sunday. I have a gig the following weekend, but the weekend after that is free, so fingers crossed the weather turns better for then.

It'll be nice to see Cardiff again.

Dad went down again yesterday morning and tells me he managed to free the recalcitrant seacock off without damaging anything. My soaking it overnight with WD40 then his gentle application of some extra leverage via a spanner did the trick. He said the only thing that went amiss was that once he'd gotten down onto the cabin floor between the wet-locker and the heads to reach the seacock, he very nearly had to phone for help to lever himself back up and out again.

I'm continually told by engineering types considerably more knowledgeable than me that WD40 is not a lubricant, but a water displacement solvent (just Googled an interesting article on the subject here). But it does do such a reliable job of getting stuck bits moving again.

Basically, the extent of my engineering abilities run thus:

Does it move? Yes. 
Should it move? No.
Gaffa tape.

Does it move? No.
Should it move? Yes.
WD40.

Fortunately, I always have Dad for the more clever stuff. And he's got cable ties.

No comments: