Monday 29 March 2021

reopening plan, stage one



So I think it's official. The 29th has dawned so, theoretically, the lake is back open. At least that was the promise and the plan, and I've not heard anything from anybody to suggest the plan has changed. Checking the webcam however doesn't exactly show crowds of enthusiasts descending upon the water. 

They're probably all at work. Just like me.

And I have a pretty full week of work ahead (albeit only four days worth, as the coming weekend is the Easter bank holiday) but I am seriously thinking of bunking off early on Thursday to go take the Laser out for a play.


And I find myself once more glued to the weather (or at least, the wind) forecast for the coming week, whereas for the last few months I've assiduously avoided them as a reminder of what I've been missing.

Thursday; 15 knots gusting into the 20's? Perfect Laser country. A bit of a dodgy direction, north east, but still, 15 knots gusting into the 20's? Sounds like an invitation to play to me.


There is a race scheduled for Sunday. Amanda has agreed to sail the Albacore with me. Of course, we've got to put the mast back up (it was left on the ground after we had the jib halyard repaired just as the last lockdown hit) and need to check the sails are okay. Because we've been unable to get to the boat since October, they've been lying in the cold and damp under the boat cover. Not where I would've chosen to keep them, but it is what it is.

Amanda has suggested we could head down to the lake on Saturday as well for a practice and to check everything's working. Haven't run that one past Nikki yet, who has the weekend off work so might take a dim view of me scarpering off to the lake for the entirety of it.

Then again, I've got Friday and Monday off because of the Easter holiday. Perhaps by Saturday Nik will be fed up of having had me under her feet all day Friday, and glad to see the back of me for a couple of hours?

Negotiations for later this week I think.

[update: Nik rang just as I was about to post this, so I bit the bullet and asked. She quite literally laughed at me, and then said "Alright then" in that pained but tolerant, semi-resigned tone of voice she has for just such moments when I strain her patience and goodwill. So "boat prep" Saturday, racing Sunday; I love that woman. And I may still bunk off Thursday to go play with the Laser]


No comments: