Tuesday 5 August 2014

Teabreak revisited

A couple of weeks ago, whilst sat in my favourite spot by the lake at the Club, I took a snap and posted it here under the title of Teabreak. Unbeknownst to me at the time, whilst mulling over my tea, the view and the company that had joined me, I'd been shot from behind . . . .

photo: caroline woodhouse
To my right is my son, Ben, whilst to my left is the lady responsible for organising the Club's annual Junior Week this year, and has done so for some years running now. She's a dinghy and powerboat instructor at Frampton; I've run a number of junior sail training courses with her over previous years and she has always been an absolute delight to work with.

I often wander down to sit by the water's edge with my cup of tea, between races or other spells on the water. I enjoy the solitude, the moment's peace and quiet, but find you're never alone for very long. Somebody inevitably wanders over to sit down with you, even if it's only to share in the peace and quiet themselves. They're good folks at the Club, all of them. Their company is always welcome.

The Junior Week itself is quite a sight to behold. It's not a training course, or a race event, but just an excuse to get the Club's kids out on the water and enjoying themselves for five days during their summer holidays. We have in the past hired in a coach from the RYA to run it, but for the last few years the coaches have all been home-grown, the Club's own kids that grew up, came back and just wanted to pass on what had been given them. And, of course, to carry on enjoying the magic.

The following video was put together by one of those coaches, Dan Callen.


No comments: